Green tips that could make a real difference
It’s important for businesses and individuals to do their bit to help combat climate change and reduce their carbon footprint.
At The Lovat, we’ve developed a focused eco-friendly policy that we’re refining every day. Want to know how you can help? Read our tips below for advice on how to lead a greener life.
Call us on 01456 490000 to find out how we’re lowering our carbon footprint, or book a room at our eco-friendly hotel online.
We suggest that you follow these tips when you stay at The Lovat, as well as in your own home.
- Only boil as much water as you need when you put the kettle on – jug-type kettles need less water as they have smaller elements
- Don’t leave the TV and video (and other appliances) in standby mode and remember not to leave them on to charge unnecessarily.
- Don’t waste energy – turn your thermostat down by 1°C. This could cut your home heating bills by up to 10%.
- Curtains: close your curtains at dusk to stop heat escaping through the windows.
- Taps: in just one day, a dripping hot water tap can waste energy and enough water to fill a bath. Make sure they’re off.
- Take a shower rather than use the bath. An ordinary shower uses only two-fifths of the water needed for a bath.
- Don’t buy products with excessive amounts of packaging and, where possible, choose products with re-usable containers
- Take your own bag or re-use plastic carriers when shopping
- Use public transport, cycle or walk rather than using a car
- Don’t travel by air if you can avoid it – air travel uses up large amounts of fossil fuels and creates greenhouse gases which cause climate change
- Recycle your newspapers, cans, bottles and plastic containers if you cannot re-use them yourself
- Recycle electrical equipment, especially batteries
- Avoid food and drink from distant countries and support more local produce – think of the energy used to transport it here!